Presiden Cup 2017
Match Report and Analysis:
Sarawak vs Penang
Sarawak played to a 1-1 draw with visitors Penang at the State Stafium this afternoon.
Sarawak started with a 4-3-3 formation fielding Philip in goal, with Bonai, Hidayat, Jimmy and Awg at defence. The midfield trio was Yunus, Abg Firman and Masaad, while the forwardline was manned by captain Azizi, Alby and Alif.
Play was concentrated in midfield in the first half. Both teams made a few attempts at each other goal with the home team managing just 4 shots at goal. Only one on target via Azizi but saved by keeper Adam in the Penang goal. Penang main dangerman was number 14, Shahrin Che Hassan who gave Awg Iskandar a torrid time on the right throughout the first half. However, his fellow attackers failed to trouble goalkeeper as senior defender, Rodney gave a commanding display in defence. Coach Veloo made an early change by substituting midfielder Masaad for Rahman in the 37th minute of the game. The first half ended 0-0.
Sarawak started aggresively in the second half and was rewarded when Alif scored a grounder via a cross from Alby on the right in the 52nd minute. Penang pressed for the equaliser as coach Manzoor made some substitution by bringing in lanky striker K Thivandaran, Mohd Asyraf and Hidayat to put the Sarawak defence under pressure. They eventually score the equaliser via a well taken freekick by Azmeer in the 90th minute. The freekick was conceded at the edge of the Sarawak penalty box by Awang. Despite an additional 4 minutes given by the referee, Sarawak failed to find the winner as the game ended 1-1.
1. Goals- Sarawak- Alif;Penang-Azmeer
2. Shots at goal: Sarawak ( 9);Penang (8)
3. Corners: Sarawak (5); Penang(5)
4. Yellow Cards: Sarawak(4);Penang (1)
5. Offsides: Sarawak (1); Penang(1)
6. Freekicks: Sarawak(13); Penang(15)
7. MOTM: Rodney Celvin
Sarawak: Philip;Hidayat;Jimmy;Awang;Bonai; Abang Firman;Masaad(Rahman);Yunus(Fazarul); Alif(Firdaus); Azizi(cpt); Alby.
1. The midfielders had a poor game especially in the first half. Abang Firman performance was poor by his standards but he gradually improved in the second half. The introduction of Abdul Rahman to replace Masaad gave him more composure to perform better after struggling in the first half.
2. Despite successfully beating the Penang fullback numerous times, Alby failed to provide the final pass to either Azizi or Alif upfront. The other midfielders were also slow to support him whenever he made his darting runs on the right.
3. Bonai was outstanding throughout the match, showing his experience with cool defending at the back.
4. Leftback Awang had a poor game, losing out in tackles, poor clearance and it was his unneccesary tackle which led to the freekick late in the game.
5. Goalkeeper Phillip kicking is poor, either to the opponent or out of the pitch. He is also uncomfortable in the air. His positioning was poor, which led to the equaliser by Azmeer.
By : Matop